Now for the SEO implications. I check some of my rankings every week. On the 17th Jan they were fine with a number of top 5 results. By the next check on 24th Jan they had dropped substantially in Google. This strongly suggests that Google had identified the malware link and marked the blog site down for it. The blog rankings continued to tumble, suggesting that each fresh visit from Googlebot was pushing it further down. However I haven’t had any messages in Webmaster Tools notifying me of any problems. The question now is whether I should wait and see what happens after the next couple of Googlebot visits or if I should send a reinclusion request straight away. Suggestions welcome!
Be careful out there!